God Bless BJS!!
A Better take on things to come. Bishop Donald Sandborn of The Most Holy Trinity Seminary in Brooksville FL is as about straight to the heart of Catholoscism as we can find in this day and age. Please feel free to browse YouTube for the series “What Catholics Believe”, which aired in the 1980s and had very good topics of interest with a number of terrific clergymen and Catholic role models. God Bless BJS!!
“A Man, not Canonically Elected, will be raised to the Pontificate… In those days Jesus Christ will send them not a true Pastor, but a Destroyer.”
Divine Revelation comes down to us by two means: through Holy Scripture, written down under divine inspiration, and through Tradition, handed down orally from Apostolic times. We read the Bible with great respect, for it is the Word of God. We treat Tradition with as great reverence, for God speaks through Tradition as well. It is wrong to believe the Bible alone without Tradition. That is like believing the Word of God written in the morning and denying it spoken in the afternoon.
Can we know God in any other way than by our natural reason? — Besides knowing God by our natural reason, we can also know Him from supernatural revelation.
God has often revealed Himself to men through means beyond the ordinary course of nature. This is supernatural, or Divine Revelation, as opposed to the natural revelation of Himself that God makes in the external world, and the revelation He makes through our natural reason and conscience.
Some revealed truths are beyond the power of the human understanding; we could never, by our own abilities, have known such truths if God had not revealed them. For instance, could we by ourselves have known about the Blessed Trinity, had God not revealed it?
The public revelation of truths to men by God began with Adam and Eve and ended at the death of Saint John the Apostle.
Private revelations have been made to holy persons, such as those of the Sacred Heart of Jesus to St. Margaret Mary, and those of Our Lady of Lourdes to St. Bernadette. But these private revelations are never proposed to the faithful as articles of faith. When the Church approves them, it merely states that there is nothing in them contrary to faith or morals.
How may Divine Revelation be classified? — Divine Revelation may be classified into pre-Christian and Christian revelation.
Pre-Christian revelation may be divided into:
primitive revelation, made to Adam and Eve;
patriarchal revelation, made to the patriarchs; and
Mosaic revelation, made to Moses and the prophets.
God spoke to Adam and Eve in the Garden of Paradise. He spoke to Abraham, to Noe, sending Noe to preach to sinful men before the Flood. He sent Moses to the Israelites when Pharaoh oppressed them. The patriarchs and prophets were called messengers of God, and often received from Him extraordinary powers, of miracles and prophecy, in order that they might be believed.
Christian revelation contains the truths revealed to us by Jesus Christ, either directly or through His Apostles.
Our Lord commanded His Apostles to teach all these truths to the end of time. “Go, therefore, and make disciples of all nations.”
Why should we believe in Divine Revelation? — We should believe in Divine Revelation because God, Who is its Author, cannot deceive nor be deceived.
No reasonable man can believe in any truth until he is sure it is revealed by God. We know that God is the Author of Revelation because He has proved it by external acts, especially by miracles and prophecies.
The writers who made Divine Revelation known worked under direct inspiration of the Holy Ghost, Who is, therefore its Author.
Miracles are extraordinary works perceptible to the senses, that cannot be accomplished by the mere powers of nature. They are brought about by the action of a higher power
The coming to life of a dead man is a miracle. So is the instantaneous cure of a man blind or paralytic from birth. Our Lord and the Apostles worked many miracles.
Some extraordinary works never before heard of or known but invented are not miracles. They are mere discoveries of previously unknown processes or combinations.
An example is the radio. And so were the first telegraph, telephone, wireless, phonograph, etc. All of these are very wonderful. Even today people in general do not understand them fully. But they are not miracles, because they are produced by the forces of nature as harnessed through the ingenuity of man.
Prophecies are predictions of future events that could not have been known by natural means. For the confirmation of the faith, or for the benefit of men, God raised up prophets. Generally speaking, the gift of prophecy is a sure sign that the possessor is a messenger of God.
The prophets told about the coming of the Messias. Their prophecies were fulfilled when Christ came on earth. The major prophets were Isaias, Jeremias, Ezechiel, and Daniel. They are distinguished from the twelve minor prophets, because of the greater volume of their prophecies. Forecasting the weather correctly is not prophecy. It is the result of a scientific knowledge of natural facts.
How has Divine Revelation come down to us? — Divine Revelation has come down to us through Holy Scripture, written down under divine inspiration, and through Tradition, handed down orally from Apostolic times.
From Adam and Eve, at different times, God inspired men to write down His revelations. These passed from generation to generation as sacred books.
For pre-Christian revelation, there were forty-five of these sacred books, composing the Old Testament. They were jealously guarded by the Israelites, the Chosen People, whom God Himself had chosen to keep His truths intact for the instruction of future generations.
Finally our Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, came to earth to reveal Divine truths to men. After His death, His Apostles and disciples wrote about Him and His teachings.
There are twenty-seven of these books, composing the New Testament. With the forty-five books of the Old Testament they were scattered in different parts of the world, until the Church gathered them together into one Book, Holy Scripture, or the Bible.
The deposit of faith which Jesus Christ entrusted to the Church is made up of two parts: Holy Scripture, and Divine Tradition, this latter being composed of the truths passed down by word of mouth, and not written down till after the death of Christ’s Apostles and disciples, principally by the Fathers of the Church.
Divine Revelation was completed at the death of the last of the Apostles. Since that time no new revelation has been made for the instruction of the whole of mankind. Whenever the Church decides a point of faith, it does so according to Scripture or Tradition. It simply finds out what has been revealed from the beginning.
“I say to you, that he will quickly revenge them. But yet the Son of man, when he cometh, shall he find, think you, faith on earth?” Luke 18:8
“They have not known, nor understood: for their eyes are covered that they may not see, and that they may not understand with their heart.” Isaiah 44:18
“Having eyes, see you not? and having ears, hear you not? neither do you remember.” Mark 8:18
The Son of God worked miracles. Jesus raised people from the dead, the blind could see, the deaf could hear, dumb could speak, lame could walk, He multiplied bread and fed thousands. Even with these miracles the Jews rejected Him as the long awaited Messiah. God prepared the world for 4,000 years for this singular event, the coming of Christ, and when it happened they did not accept Him as their foretold Saviour. How could they be so blind to these events that pointed to Christ? The Pharisees and Scribes knew the law and all the prophecies, they should have and most probably recognized the Messiah. With their voluntary and prideful blindness, it was not a matter they could not see, but rather they would not see. The same thing is happening today with the Novus Ordo religion (so-called Catholics of the modern world), the higher ups, clergy, bishops, and so-called popes should see through all the fraud, lies, and deceit and know this is not the Catholic religion established by God made man, but they will not.
“And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.” John 8:32
Almighty God has revealed one religion through Jesus Christ, who has done things that Mohammed and Buddha have never done. Divine evidence is there, nothing else cuts it as far as “religion” or even comes close. Without the Faith however, it is impossible to please God (no matter how charitable you are), you cannot get to Heaven without the Faith as revealed by Christ.
“Woe to them that are fainthearted, who believe not God: and therefore they shall not be protected by him.” Ecclesiasticus 2:15
“He that believeth in him is not judged. But he that doth not believe, is already judged: because he believeth not in the name of the only begotten Son of God.” John 3:18
“How can you believe, who receive glory one from another: and the glory which is from God alone, you do not seek?” John 5:44
Within everyone is ability to find the true Faith, the evidence is there. Men of good will, and who look for and seek the truth; if they do not contain hinderance of self through pride and other earthly distractions, will find the truth. Let go and let God. Here we look at the very first bit of evidence in the first human beings to be created, the descendants of Adam along with the Hebrew meanings of their names, to find a message from the Almighty:
1. Adam – Man, in the image of God
2. Seth – Substituted by (Cain killed Abel, Seth took his place)
3. Enos – Frail man
4. Kenan – Fell lamenting
5. Mahalalel – The Blessed God
6. Jared – Shall come down
7. Enoch – The Teacher
8. Methuselah – His death shall send
9. Lamech – to the humble
10. Noah – Rest/consolation
Man, in the image of God substituted by frail man, fell lamenting. The Blessed God shall come down. The Teacher, His death shall send to the humble, rest or consolation.
God was giving us a message through the names of the first human beings on this Earth that He would come down to die for our sins and provide us with a means of rest from the effects that sin had on the whole human race
On the subject of why Jews are so often persecuted throughout history, and why God still allows them to carry on; Saint Augustine states that the purpose is this: So clearly does the Old Testament and its prophecies point to Jesus that Pagans might accuse Christians of making it all up and writing it out, attempting to make everything fulfilled by Christ. Pagans cannot use this arguement because the Jews who did not and do not recognize Christ as the Messiah, verify that the Old Testament had come from their forefathers and that it is clearly their possession. This ownership therefore negates any possibility that Christians made it up and also verifies the Divine miracles which we will get to in a moment.
Prophecies Before the Coming of Christ:
1. The Prophet Micheas: foretold that the Messiah would be born in Bethleham (Micah 5:2)
2. The Prophet Haggai: said the Messiah would visit the second temple. This prophecy was made after the first temple had been destroyed and the second was being built. People were lamenting that this temple was nowhere in comparision to the size and grandeur of the first, but it was stated the glory of this last temple will be greater than the first because He will come to it. That temple is now destroyed, so this prophecy cannot be fulfilled today.
3. Jacob (In Genesis): prophezied that the scepter would not pass from Judah until the Messiah would come (Genesis 49:10). Judah and his descendants ruled God’s chosen people (David was from this line, as were the Maccabees), the scepter passed when the Romans conquered the Jews in 39 B.C. and put Herod in charge over the Jews.
4. Prophecy of Daniel (605 B.C. – 530 B.C.): stated that when Jerusalem was beginning to be rebuilt there will be 69 weeks of years until the public appearance of the Messiah (note Daniel was not even alive when they started rebuilding Jerusalem). 453 B.C. was the start of rebuilding (69 weeks of years comes to 483 years), which puts the time at 30 A.D. when Christ started His public ministry.
5. Isaiah: said He would be born of a virgin of the house of David.
6. Isaiah: also stated the Messiah would have a precursor (Malachi 3:1)
7. Balaam: states a new star will rise at His birth (Book of Numbers 24:17)
8. Psalms 71: that kings from a distant land would come worship Him and offer Him gifts.
9. Jeremias: talks about children being put to death at His birth.
10. Prophet Osee (Hosea): that He would have to flee into Egypt and return from there.
11. Isaiah: Messiah would be both God and man, a child shall be born and He shall be called “God the Mighty”
12. Psalms 109: the Messiah would be like Melchisidech and offer bread and wine in sacrifice.
13. Isaiah: a great worker of miracles, describing these miracles he states the blind will see, lame walk, deaf hear etc.
14. Zacharius: that He would ride into Jerusalem on a donkey (palm Sunday, when the Jews were bringing the paschal lambs for sacrifice, the Lamb of God).
15. Zacharius: stated He would be sold for thirty pieces of silver (Judas Iscariot).
16. Psalms 40: betrayed by one of His own disciples (Judas Iscariot).
17. Zacharius: forsaken by His own disciples.
18. Psalms 21: He will be mocked.
19. Isaiah: He will be beaten and spit upon.(50:6)
20. Psalms 72: He would be scourged.
21. Canticles: He would be crowned with thorns.
22. Psalms 73: He would be given gall and vinegar to drink.
23. Psalms 21: They would cast lots for His garments.
24. Psalms 21: They would pierce His hands and feet.
25. Isaiah 53: That He would die with criminals/evildoers.
26. Isaiah 53: He would be as patient as a lamb.
27. Isaiah 53: He would die willingly for our sins.
28. Psalms 15: His Body would not see corruption.
29. Psalms 72: He would return to Heaven.
30. Psalms 109: He would sit at the right hand of the Father.
31. Joel: His doctrine would be spread by His Apostles out of Jerusalem to the whole world.
32. Duetromony: Jews would be punished and scattered for rejection of Messiah (28:25)
33. Daniel Chapter 9: Osee temple destroyed, curtain ripped, priesthood would end, sacrifices cease, never to be rebuilt.
“There will be a clean oblation, the continual sacrifice throughout the world offered to God from the rising of the sun to the going down of the same…” The Holy Sacrifice of the Mass
Psalms 109: The Messiah will come to judge all men.
When the Jews offered the paschal lamb in rememberance of their delivery from the Egyptians and took the blood and put it on their door posts, the angel of death passed over their houses. God told them to offer the lamb every time of the year at the passover; they would take the lamb and in the waving ceremony would point the lamb to the North, South, East, and to the West making the sign of the cross (unbeknownest to them), just as when the priest offers the host at mass and places it on the corporal making the sign of the cross as well with the chalice.
In todays times when Jews still offer the lamb at passover they take a wooden pomegranite stick and put it into the throat of the lamb running the length to its feet, while using another wooden only stick to prop open the chest cavity also making the sign of the cross.
Men of the Old Testament and their Correlation to Christ:
1. Noah: the sacrfice of quitting the Ark when the flood was complete signified a New Covenant with God (rainbow), as Christ did when leaving the world after dying on the Cross.
2. Malchisedech: a king of justice, was king of Salem (that is the king of peace), Christ was both king and priest and offered bread and wine in sacrifice. Christ in the last supper changed the bread and wine into His own Body and Blood, sealed with death on the Cross.
3. Isaac: only begotten and well beloved son of His Father (Abraham), carried the wood on which he was to be sacrificed and offered himself willingly (as Christ carried His cross). He was restored to his father and from him sprang countless offspring.
4. Jacob: was persecuted by his brother and afterwords reconciled to him through the son of a rich father, he wandered in a strange land and won his bride through long service, as Christ did with His Church. Jacob had 12 sons of whom Joseph was his beloved/Christ 12 Apostles of which St. John was His beloved.
5. Joseph: the well beloved son of his father, Joseph was hated by his bretheren, sold by them for silver after great humiliation he was raised to the highest honor. And by his council he saved all his people from death. Heralds proclaimed all should bow their knees before him and he was reconciled to his bretheren. Just like Christ.
6. Moses: when a child escaped the cruel command of the Egyptian king (as Christ fled with His family), when it was ordered that all Jewish boys were to be killed. He was rescued by being placed in a wicker basket in the Nile river. Spent his youth in Egypt, fasted 40 days before publication of ancient law, freed Iseralites from slavery, brought them to the promised land, worked miracles in proof of Divine Mission, interceded for the people of God. Appeared on Mt. Sinai with a shining countenance just like Christ on Mt. Tabor (sermon on 8 beautitudes), and was a mediator of the ancient covenant.
7. David: born in Bethlehem, spent youth in humble state, vanquished giant Goliath the enemy of the people of the Lord. He was king of Iserael, he had to suffer much but triumphed over all his enemies.
8. Jonas: was three days and nights in the belly of a whale, as Christ ressurected after three days. He preached penance to the Ninevites.
The paschal lamb was slain on the Friday preceeding the paschal Sabbath and offered to God, it was eaten and to be without spot, in the prime of its age and not a bone to be broken. Just as Jesus was offered back to God and still is every hour of every day every where in the world for over 2,000 years.
The blood sprinkled on the door posts preserved the people from temporal death, Christs’ blood from spiritual death. It was eaten before they departed for the promised land as Our Lord gives us His body to eat before our departure to Heaven.
The emissary goat had hands imposed on it by the high priest, signifying everyones sins being placed on it and then being driven out into the desert to die. Just as Christ took on all the sins of mankind coming from Heaven to die on Earth. As the priest today extends his hands over the bread and wine in the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass to signify its true nature as a sacrifice for our sins.
The brazen serpent in the desert was set upon wood so that all who gazed upon it would be healed from the bite of the fiery serpent and from the wounds of their sins. Just as Christ was raised on the cross so that all who look to Him with Faith and Hope are saved from the deadly effects of sin. Hence our Lord says as Moses lifted up the serpent in the desert, “so must the Son of Man be lifted up that whosoever believeth in Him may not parish, but have life everlasting.”
The mana that was lived off of for 40 years while the Jews were in the desert is a type of Holy Eucharist as Christ in the Blessed Sacrament. It was white and came down from Heaven every morning and was to be consumed at that time. It contained within itself everything that all His people needed, young, old, sick, healthy it satisfied everyones physical needs just as the Blessed Eucharist today satisfies all our spiritual needs.
“The Jews therefore murmured at him, because he had said: I am the living bread which came down from Heaven.” John 6:41
People can verify with the spreading of Christianity throughout the world and that these Apostles who were simple fisherman spread the Faith based off these miracles. Even the Jews who wrote and spread horrible things about Christ and Our Lady, their strongest arguement would have been that He never performed these miracles. But they never say anything about that. His miracles were so public so people could see firsthand. His ressurection had over 500 people witness that were willing to shed their blood and die because they saw Him alive again, wounds and all.
The Jews wanted Him to come down from the cross, but He died. They wanted Pilate to put Jesus to death to say that even the Pagan Romans knew how bad He was but it backfired. Pilate instructed them to put their own guard at the tomb. Jews paid Roman soldiers to say that while they were asleep they witnessed the disciples come and take the body of Christ. As St. Augustine again points out, how can anyone witness anything being asleep?
And lastly, the Jews were scattered as foretold, 1 million were put to death, 90,000 enslaved and the rest scattered and persecuted even up until today. All of history centers around the birth of Christ. He founded one church the Catholic Church and this is also proven by history. This Vatican 2 “Catholic Church” is not that church. It denies the first commandment in recognizing false validity of other religions created by men.
God Bless BJS!!